The Growing Group has been inspired by some of the work of Incredible Edible.
Growing food reduces the number of miles from source to plate and builds resilience for when food becomes short in supply. The sharing of skills and knowledge with the younger generation about growing food and improving soil quality by composting is of paramount importance in our endeavours to mitigate the effects of climate change.
The sharing of knowledge about growing also strengthens community and supports the vulnerable by building friendships between those who would otherwise remain disparate.
Activities to date include the following.
- The group, some of whom are students, engaged with the University of Cumbria early in 2019 and raised beds were installed on campus in July.
- We have some growing spaces with Ambleside Health Centre that are being tended and maintained by group members.
- In March 2020, just before lockdown, we held an event about making compost and building window boxes. Members of the community were able to take home window boxes which they had planted with herbs and pollinator-friendly plants.
- A community orchard was planted in Rothay Park in March 2020.
- We have assisted Ambleside Primary School with the planting of their orchard.
More about these events, including photos, can be found on our Blog for 2020.
Registered Charity Number 1188921